Saturday, March 13, 2010

Wallpaper Removal

Since we moved into this house a year ago, it has been my desire to tear down the wallpaper in the hall bathroom and paint. The wallpaper was a grey and silver marble swirl, that was so out dated that no one that saw it would possibly think I liked it or put it up myself, so I was saving that job until last. Everything else (except making new throw pillows for the living room), I feel like I've finished, so onto the bathroom.

I bought a sample of paint and decided I would tear down one wall of paper and see what I thought of the color...but one wall lead to another and then to another. The hall bathroom is divided into two sections: the toilet and tub room and the sink room. After tearing down one wall in the sink room and thought I'd check out the tub room. Behind the wallpaper in the tub room was mold--yuck! Now what?

I plugged along for about 45 minutes on my own and then I was joined by Isaiah. Isaiah loves jobs like this. He wants to be a remodeler when he grows up -- just like Mr. Bowman.


But it didn't take long before everyone wanted to help. (We never let Trouble, aka Malachi, help--he was napping). Jon and the big boys all started demolition. As Jon said, "Boys like to destroy things."
It is not all done, help from the boys meant little pieces of paper left here and there on the wall, but I would say mostly done (I probably have 45 minutes of work left to do on Monday). I was thankful though, because these sort of projects usually take the whole week because I do a little bit each day because I am on my own to get them done. Only now, I have to figure out what I do about the mold. It was just behind a section of wall paper about 5 feet high and 4 feet wide--but I still have to do something to repair it before I can paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment